Sunday, January 25, 2009

five pounds of stew meat

Some time ago I bought a package of stew meat at Cosco--five plus pounds to be exact. Usually I divide it into four-five packages, but for some reason (laziness, probably) I did not divide it and there it has sat--big huge package in the freezer.

Then I came upon this recipe at Patty's Pantry, and I knew I wanted to make it. Patty has some wonderful recipes which I have used before. Her two sites not only feed the soul, but also the body!

I decided to make Patty's Barley-Mushroom soup! That would take one and half pounds of the mountain of meat!


Next I decided to make a double recipe of my son Jon's favorite recipe--Beef Burgundy. I am going to give you the single recipe I usually make--as you read through it think 'doubled!'
This is super easy and sooooo yummy!

Beef Burgundy
1 1/2 to 2 pounds stew meat
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 envelopes of Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
2 cups of red wine (alcohol cooks out)

Put in a soup kettle, dutch oven, or something with a lid. Put in oven and cook at 200 degrees for eight to ten hours!

Serve over brown rice! Delicious

Its right out of the oven. Rich brown gravy, and the smell is marvelous!


Here it is in a bowl--I always serve it on a dinner plate with the rice and then the gravy and meat over that. I don't have any rice made as this is going into the freezer in two big batches.


Enjoy!

10 comments:

Sally said...

sounds wonderful. I may have to give it a try.

Kathleen said...

My kinda girl! I love "batch" cooking. I do a lot less of it now that it's just hubby and me, but having some goodies tucked into the freezer for later ease is my kind of living.

That Beef Burgundy looks good enough to have for breakfast.

Kathleen

papel1 said...

Its still breakfast time here, but your pictures are making me think of dinner already.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Looks easy and delicious. I Must try it!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Warmth for the body and the soul...Hugs...m...

Amy said...

Joan!! I love them both!! I'll be over and I'll bring some dessert.
We have been having "soup of the week" lately with this cold Ohio weather. It always seems soothing to have some warm soup steaming in a bowl in front of you on a snowy day. I have been making a huge pot of soup-different kind each week- on Sunday. Then we eat from it for lunch or dinner until it is gone. Some soups only last a few days as my kids have favorites , of course. Have you ever noticed that homemade soup tastes even better when it is left over and the flavors get a chance to blend more?! Thanks for sharing.
I have given you an award over at my place. Go see and pick it up!!
Amy

Anonymous said...

This looks good! I should try it. I got lazy last time I stocked up on chicken that was on sale by 1 get 2 free so now I've got it all frozen in it's original packaging in sets of 3 large pieces which makes a problem for cooking a chicken dinner for two. I've learned my lesson hopefully!

Kate Geisen said...

Off topic for your post...but I just read your response to JMom on her blog and it really touched me. Thank you for that insight. :)

Unknown said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HW said...

Both look so good.

Any suggestions on how to choose a red wine for cooking? Just any kind?